14 November 2012

Excerpts. Transcript. DVD commentary. The Limey 1999. Lem Dobbs.


  Soderbergh: This grew out of a deisre to find a new way to give information about the story, about the character. It wasn't desparate act. Me thinking there has to be better ways to lay things out to people. //less traditional. You can be more adventures//.
  We had to play around a little bit. I remember some versions were too fragmented.
  Dobbs: One of the great clichés of filmmaking that you hear people say constantly, (Those pseudo-intellectual fuckfaces are most annoying.) that I don't think it's true at all, unlike novels, in films, you can't show thinking. It's a comp... It's a total lie. I think movies are ["]brilliant["] at showing someone thinking. I think what I particularly encouraged you to do to was to go get more shots and put into movie
more shots, Terrence Stamp sitting in a chair, meditative, smoking, thinking, reflecting. You may not know exactly what he's thinkin. I think you can ["]pretty much["] infer. It's certainly one of advantages of casting an older actor who brings a lot of ["]baggage["] with him from previous roles and years.
  I think it's very novelistic to do this kind of fragmentation, people talk about it as being cinematically stylish. I think it's almost more of a literary device.
  (one of common mistakes, difference between infer and imply, between infer and refer)

  I believe that this misconception is caused by the belief that Théâtre=Cinéma. Because of position of camera, movement of camera, and editing, one example close-up, Cinéma certainly can show "thinking". There are many examples, I can't retrieve the memories now. I am certain that I can if I am given a trigger.

Keine Kommentare: