23 Dezember 2012

Excerpt. Transcript. DVD Commentary. TheLimey1999. An important question and a bad reviewer.

-->
1.     An important question.
2.     Dobbs: I do think, you know. I think, it's. I tell people that say to me, "Do you like this movie?" As a completely disinterested, objective film-goer, "I think it's a good movie." I think, if I knew nothing more about it and had nothing to do with it, as a film-goer, That's a good movie. I'd recommend it to my friends. As a screenwriter, I do think it's crippled.
3.     Soderbergh: First one is the only one that matters.
4.     Dobbs: What do you mean?
5.     Soderbergh: The objective ["]film-goer position["]. That's the only one that matters. That's the only one I think about. Don't you think there are scenes, directorially, I think are great. I think, "Gee, I hate cutting that." But I cut it because the movie has to come first? Don't you think the same thing?
6.     Dobbs: I do think it's your Achilles's Heel. I don't think it's just this film or previous film. I think it's a, it's a problem that you have. I think a lot of your films could use extra ten minutes. Certainly this one. I mean, I think it's a good film. I really do. But I think it would [have] be been a much better film. I think it would have ["]won over["] few other bad reviews.
7.     Soderbergh: First of all, I'm not bothered by bad reviews, for one. Secondly, I'd rather, I'd rather have a character be perceived as thin or shallow than have a character that who I think has been, is approached to in a sort of reductive fashion and explain more than, you know, I think I would like to see explain. So I do tend to air on the ["]side of less["]. That just reflects my taste and what I like to see on a movie.
8.     Dobbs: No, I agree with you on the one hand. I just don't know it's been executed properly. I mean, uh, in terms of character explaining himself, you can hardly do worse than all of his cockney slang stuff. (I agree.) I think there's far too much of. I was careful to have only have one instance of cockney slang. Terry Valentine's house where he says, I'm gonna have butchers in the house. You and Terrence Stamp, between the two of you, fell in love with that. And a lot of people have fallen in love with that.


1.     Soderbergh: Now here's a scene a lot of people commented upon, which you indicated clearly in the script. Camera stays outside as Wilson goes in. Because this is so much interesting to see him come out with blood on his face.
2.     Dobbs: Yeah, tell me about it. I've read enough of review that prasied the reveiwal (wrong word) direction. Most notably, that motherfucker at Variety. Yeah, brilliant direction of Steven Soderbergh.

Keine Kommentare: