06 Dezember 2012

Mnemotechnique. Transcript. The Friends of Eddie Coyle 1973.


Scene 1: South Shore Bank. Jimmy Scalise and a Bank Teller #1.
1.     That's fine. Thank you./May I come in, please?/Thank you./You're welcome.
2.     May I help you, sir?/May I have change for ten?/Yes. How would you like it?/Ten shingles will be fine.
3.     Bye-bye./Bye now.

Scene 2: A cafeteria. Jackie Brown and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Coffee.
2.     I can get your pieces by tomorrow night. I can get you probably six pieces. I got more now, but I promised some of this lot.
3.     I don't know as I like that, buying from the same lot as somebody else. Makes me nervous.
4.     Yeah, well, I understand./You don't understand like I understand. I got certain responsibilities./Look. I told you I understand. Did you get my name or didn't you?
5.     I got your name./Well, all right./All right, nothing. I wish I had a nickel for every name I got that was all right.
6.     Look at that. You know what that is?/Your hand./I hope you look closer at those guns than you did at that hand. Look at your own goddamn hand.
7.     Count your fucking knuckles./All of 'em?/Count as many as you want. As many as you got, I got four more. You know how I got those?
8.     I bought some stuff from a man. I knew his name. The stuff was traced. The guy I bought it for, he's at MCI Walpole for 15 to 25. Still in there. But he had some friends. I got an extra set of knuckles.
9.     They put your hand in a drawer then somebody kicks the drawer shut. Hurt like a bastard./Jesus./What makes it hurt worse, what makes it hurt more, is knowing what's gonna happen to you, you know?
10. There you are. They just come up to you and say, "Look. You made somebody mad. You made a big mistake and now there's somebody doing time [sentence  by a judge in criminal court] for it. There's nothing personal in it, you understand, it just has to be done. Now get your hand out there." You think about not doing it, you know.
11. When I was a kid in Sunday school, this nun, she used to say, "Stick your hand out. " I stick my hand out. Whap! She'd knock me across the knuckles with a steel-edge ruler. So one day I says, when she told me, "Stick your hand out" I says, "No. " She whapped me right across the face with the ruler. Same thing.
12. They put your hand in a drawer. Somebody kicks the drawer shut. Ever hear bones breaking? Just like a man snapping a shingle. Hurts like a bastard. I don't know who you been selling to but The Man tells me you got guns to sell, I need guns.
13. Look. You can't trace these guns. I guarantee that./You better or neither one of us will be able to shake hands.
14. Look. These guns are okay. They're new. Test firing's all they've had. Brand-fucking new. Air weight, shrouded hammers, floating firing pins. I can get you four inches and two inches. Just tell me what you want.
15. How much?/ Eighty./Eighty? You ever sell guns before?/What you want, a discount?
16. I could sell thirty pieces tomorrow without even seeing you. Can't get my hands on 'em fast enough.
17. I'll bet if I was to go down the shrine there and go to confession, I'd get three Hail Marys, and then the priest would ask me confidentially if I can get him something light to carry underneath his coat. People are desperate for guns. I had a guy ask me seriously the other day, could I get him a few machine guns./What color was he?
18. He was a nice guy./I never been able to understand a man who wanted to use a machine gun. You get hooked with it, it's life [life sentence without possibility of parole]. Your best all-around item is the four-inch Smith. You can lift it, she goes where you point it.
19. I'll go fifty./Ah, bullshit./Look, I'm talking about thirty pieces, fiften hundred dollars./Split the difference. Eighteen./I have to see the stuff./Sure. Okay.

Scene 3: Dillon's bar. Dillon and Artie Van. Artie Van and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Seen the Scal lately?/Yeah, I see him. I don't see him./Coyle's been looking for him./Oh, yeah? Say where he's at?/At home.
2.     Hello, Eddie? Yeah, it's me, Artie./Look, I gotta talk to ya. Could I meet ya?/ Listen. You wanna see this through, right? I'll be here at Dillon's.
3.     Okay.

Scene 4: Construction site. Jackie Brown and the Beard.
1.     It's a good thing you told me you got a new car. I wouldn't have figured you for this. What happened to the three ninety six?/Bills were eating me up./It went like a bird with a flame up its ass though.
2.     I can't swing it anymore. I'm gonna have to get married and settle down. I mean, I just can't swing it anymore./Come on. You do okay off of me.
3.     Shit. What'd I get off you in the last six months? Thirty seven hundred? That went easy. I can't hack around anymore, man. I mean, if I don't stop this, I'm gonna be looking at the outside from the inside. How about you? You still riding?
4.     Nah. That was before I heard about making money. Okay, come on, you got the stuff?/Yeah. Mostly four inches though.
5.     Four eighty, right?/How come "right"? Four inches? Six months ago, you'd moan, I bring you anything but two inches.
6.     I got a better class of trade now./You got hooked in with the Mafia or something?
7.     Tell you the truth, I don't know. There's this heavyset guy, you know. Looks like a mick. Says he'll take anything I can deliver. I never seen such demand for guns before. Four inches, six inches, uh, Mags, uh, forty ones, forty fives, forty sixs. You name it. He just keeps bringing me the bread. It's okay with me.
8.     You do all right off me./Come on. I give you twenty apiece for iron that costs you nothing.
9.     You do all right. You better./Don't hassle me, man. Look, I know what you're dumping the money on. I know, all right. But as long as you can function, that's okay with me. But you get my ass in the gears, man and I'm gonna turn the flame up under yours. Come on. I'll see you next week, all right?


Scene 5: Dillon's bar. Dillon and Eddie Coyle.
1.     You're not looking too good./I'm looking at three to five, it seems like./What about the appeal?/Lost the appeal. Lost the motion for reconsideration. Gotta surrender up there for execution of sentence in a week or two. Shit. The old lady's gotta go on welfare. How would you like that? Your wife and kids have to go on welfare like niggers. Dillon, you gotta do something for me.
2.     I do what I can./I stood up./You're a stand-up guy./Christ, I wish I never did that job for ya./I wish it never happened. But that don't help.
3.     It looked like a pipe. You know that. You told me yourself. You told me you needed dough. You got the money up front./Yeah.


Scene 6: Street. A meeting clandestine. Dave Foley and Dillon.
1.     The whole town's buttoned up on this grand jury, anyway. I never seen things so quiet. There's nothing much going on. You guys must have taken up circle jerks or something. They ought to run one of these grand juries every three weeks or so. It sure puts you guys in the closet./Fuck you.
2.     By the end of the week, Artie Van's gonna be selling papers or shining shoes or something. He oughta get unemployment./Cut it out.
3.     All right. That was a cheap shot. I apologize. But there isn't anything going on./There's something going on./A bunch of the boys getting together, watch dirty movies?
4.     Hmm. To tell you the truth, I don't know what it is. People are trying to sort of avoid me. You know? Guys telephoning for guys that aren't there.
5.     Here's twenty. Who's calling up?/Remember Eddie Fingers?/Fella that got his hand busted up.
6.     Who's he looking for?/Jimmy Scalise. You know him?/Last time I heard he was in Florida, getting some sun. Does he find him?/I don't know. I'm just a messenger boy.
7.     They give you numbers./Telephone numbers. I'm a law-abiding citizen. I got a liquor license./No, you work for a guy that's got a liquor license. Ever see him? You're a convicted felon.
8.     Like I say, I work for a guy got a liquor license. I forget sometimes./Want to forget this?/I'd just as soon.
9.     You ought to get yourself a car./I don't drive. If I could afford a car, I wouldn't be taking twenty a week from you./Have a nice day.


Scene 7: The house of Patridge. A robber and Partridge.
1.     Mr. Partridge. We are going to your bank. You and I and my friend. My other friend will stay here with your wife and children to make sure nothing happens to them. Nothing will happen to them and nothing will happen to you if you do what I tell you. If you don't, at least one of them will be shot. Understand?/I understand.
2.     Here's your coat. We leave by the back door. Everything will be all right. Don't be afraid./Okay.
3.     Now, you do what your mommy tells you. It'll be all right. They don't want to hurt us. All they want is money./He's right. We don't get any kicks from hurting people. Nobody does anything silly, nobody gets hurt.
4.     Give him your car keys. Let's go to the bank, Mr. Partridge.
5.     You sleep late, Mr. Partridge. I'm sorry to have inconvenienced you. You're probably a brave man. Don't try to prove it. We don't plan to hurt you or anyone else unless you make us or somebody fucks up.
6.     Now, sit down on the floor of the car. Go.


Scene 8: In front of South Shore Bank. A robber and Patridge.
1.     We're going to take off your blindfold, Mr. Partridge, and then get you sitting up.
2.     Mr. Partridge, do you see the man in that phone booth?/Yes./When he gives me the signal, I'll know he's made contact with our friend at your home.
3.     You will then walk to the front door of your bank, ring the bell in the usual way, go into the bank, and tell your people what's going on. Then you will open the back door and let us in.
4.     If that door is not open in exactly one minute after you've entered the bank, you know what will happen to your family. And we will leave immediately in a car you've never seen. Do you understand?/Yes, I understand.
5.     Okay. Go ahead. Back up so we can see the door.
6.     Stay right where you are. Don't press no buttons. Calm down. Keep quiet. No one will get hurt.
7.     Hey. Open the door. Come on. Come on.
8.     Tell 'em to sit down on the floor in front of the desk./Please sit down on the floor.
9.     Tell 'em the rest./When the time lock on the vault opens, these men will take what they came for. I will leave with them. We will return to my house.
10. Keep on./There is another man at my house with my family. They will pick him up and leave. This man has told me no one will be hurt if no one interferes. I have to believe him. So, everyone, please co-operate and don't set off any alarms.
11. What time does it open?/Eight forty eight./When the fuck does it open?/That's it./Open it.
12. When you get it open, move towards the desk there so I can watch you and the rest of them at the same time.
13. You and I are going to go out and get in a car and go. Tell them what to do.
14. When these men leave, get up and take your usual places. Open the doors. Draw the curtains. Start to do business. You've got to give these men at least an hour. For God's sakes, give them the time./Okay. Let's go.


Scene 9: Lakeside. A robber and Patridge.
1.     Put your hands on the seat and get yourself sitting up. Come on.
2.     I'm going to point you and you'll start walking. You'll hear me get back in the car. You just keep walking. 'Cause I've got the windows down and the guns on you. Count to one hundred very slowly. That's when you'll be safe. Start walking, Mr. Partridge.


Scene 10: The house of Eddie Coyle. Eddie Coyle and Sheila Coyle.
1.     Bye, Dad./Bye-bye./Bye./Bye-bye.
2.     You say anything to those kids this morning?/About what?
3.     About that trouble up there./Not at all. Why would I? Why?
4.     Well, I thought they acted kind of funny toward me this morning./Oh. It's your imagination.
5.     What do you want for breakfast?/Nothing.
6.     I gotta go somewhere today, see a fella. Goddamn lawyer of mine. That harpy's got oatmeal for brains. If I had time, I'd get somebody to draw up some papers for me. You know. Incompetence of counsel. Wouldn't let me take the stand. I know a fella who can do that but he's in the bucket.
7.     My mother said she'd move in and take care of the kids while I work./Work? What are you talking about, work?
8.     You don't want us to go on welfare, do you?/Hey, look. Sheila, look. It's gonna be all right up there in New Hampshire. The fella I'm seeing today, he told me he could square it for me. Then we'll get the hell out of here, okay?
9.     I'm not complaining. Eddie. Eddie! It's morning!


Scene 11: A park in afternoon, weekday. Dave Foley and Eddie Coyle.
1.     That's a nice machine you got there. Anybody I know?/I don't think so. Fella out in the western part of the state was using it to transport moon. Poor bastard. Paid cash for it, got hooked on his first trip.
2.     Well, they get away with it sometimes./I didn't know that was in your line.
3.     It isn't. But, you know, you hear different things. People get careless./I know. Like last week, I heard you were coming up for sentencing in New Hampshire.
4.     I thought you might like to go up there with me for the weekend. You're, uh, still interested in machine guns, I suppose./Oh, yes, indeed. I've always had a strong interest in a machine gun or two.
5.     That's what I said. I said, old Foley's reliable. Never forgets his old friends./Just what old friends, for example?
6.     Well, I was thinking, for example, that, uh, US Attorney up in New Hampshire there./You thought I might enjoy a chance to talk to him?
7.     Well, I figure it's worth trying./Well, it's a long way to go. Still, if I had a strong reason.
8.     Well, I got three kids and a wife at home. I just can't do any more time. You know, the kids are growing up. They go to school, all the other kids laugh at 'em. Well, hell, I'm almost fifty one years old./That's your strong reason. I need one for me. What are they holding over you? About five years?
9.     My lawyer figures about two./Oh, you'd do well to get out with two. You had about two hundred cases of Canadian Club on that truck, the way I remember it, none of it belonged to you.
10. I keep telling you it was a mistake./Well, you made that mistake before.
11. Look. There I am, minding my own business, getting along the best I could. A man calls me up, knows I'm out of work, asked me if I'd drive a truck for him. I didn't know that man from Burlington from Adam.
12. Yeah, I can see how that would happen. A man like you, lives in Quincy, Mass. must get a lot of calls to drive a semi from Burlington to Portland. I'm surprised the jury didn't believe you.
13. Ah, that dopey lawyer of mine wouldn't let me take the stand. Anyway, I was wondering if maybe there wasn't some way we could handle it./Like me saying hello to somebody?
14. Well, I was thinking a little stronger than that. I was thinking in terms of, uh, maybe you talking to the prosecutor up there and having him drop a word to the judge how I been helping my uncle like a bastard./Well, I would, but then again, you haven't been.
15. What? I gave you a couple of calls./Yeah. You give me some real stuff too. You tell me about a guy that's gonna get hit, fifteen minutes later, he gets hit. You tell me about some guys and a job but you don't tell me till they're coming out the door with the money. That's not helping uncle, Eddie. You gotta put your whole soul into it. Hell, the way I hear it, you're maybe mixed up in something that's going on./Like what?/Oh, well. I wouldn't want to confront a man with something I heard. You know me better than that.
16. Well, uh, suppose we was to talk about machine guns?/Just to change the subject?
17. Well, suppose someone should put you onto somebody who was selling machine guns. You wouldn't want him to go to jail, would ya? Somebody who was helping you like that, you wouldn't want him to go to jail and embarrass his kids and all, would ya?/When's it supposed to come off?
18. How much you interested?/Let me put it this way. If I was to get my hands on some machine guns and the fella that was selling 'em and whoever's buying 'em, I wouldn't mind saying to someone else that somebody was helping uncle. Now, you need anything else?
19. I need a good leaving alone. That's what I need. I don't want nobody following me around./Okay. We'll do it your way. You call me when you get something, if you do. And if I get something, I'll put it in front of the US Attorney. If I don't, ["]all bets are off["]. Understood? Have a nice day.


Scene 12. Police Station. Dave Foley and Waters.
1.     You remember Eddie Fingers? Eddie Coyle?/The bank robber. The one from Natick.
2.     Nah, that's his sidekick, Artie Van. Eddie doesn't rob banks./They branch out. What about him?
3.     I got this call from Coyle so I went out to see him./What'd he want?
4.     He's coming up for sentencing in New Hampshire./Wants some references. What's he got to trade?
5.     He was offering to peddle me this guy with machine guns. That bastard. He's about this high in the bunch but he gets around more than any man I've ever seen. One day he's here, the next day he's there. You'd think he was some fucking stray dog. I just wish I had a line on half of what he was doing./Does he work anywhere?
6.     He's a night expediter over at Ar-liss Trucking. But you just try to find him there. He works about as much as Santa Claus. My friend says Coyle's been trying to look for, uh, Scalise. My friend runs a saloon. And I know he's got an undisclosed interest. And he knows I know. A strange guy./What do you hear about, uh, Artie Van and Scalise?
7.     Nothing together, no./I wonder. Uh, you don't suppose that Artie and, uh, Scalise made that withdrawal from the bank, do you?
8.     It's a thought. I wonder where Eddie fits in./Well, he's arming some wiseguys. He's done it before. That friend of yours that runs the saloon, is that the same saloon we talked about putting a wire in a few weeks back?
9.     That's the one./Okay. You write it up and I'll present it to the attorney.
10. Maybe we ought to talk about it some more./It's not gonna do you any good in your head. You wanted a wiretap.
11. By the time I get it written up, it'll all be over with./Well, that's what you get when you get to be an expert, kid. Or maybe you'd rather go back to the pussy posse?

Scene 13: Random road. Jackie Brown, Andrea, and her boyfriend.
1.     Hey! You, man! Are you selling something?
2.     That depends./Wait a minute. Are you the guy?
3.     No, I'm a narc [narcotics officer]./Don't, don't hassle me, man. Are you the guy we're looking for?
4.     It depends. Depends on what you're looking to do./Wait a minute. I don't know what he is. He might be a narc. I don't know what he is.
5.     Ask him to come to the back door./Sure, I'll ask him. Hey, uh, come to the back door./Is he coming?/No, he ain't doing nothing.
6.     Who the fuck are you?/Cool it, man. This is Andrea.
7.     I don't give a shit who she is. Look. I understood there was gonna be somebody here that wanted to do some business./How do we know who you are?/You don't./Yeah, you could be a cop./I could be J. Edgar Hoover. Now, what the hell do you want?
8.     We understood you could get us some machine guns./Hey, look. You want to burn your fucking bra, all right, but what you gonna do with a machine gun?/We're gonna rob a fucking bank.
9.     I can get you five machine guns by Friday. M sixteens. Three fifty apiece. You want ammo, it's extra./How much extra?/Two fifty for five hundred rounds./That's two thousand dollars./I make that.
10. Be here Friday night with the stuff./Half now. A grand in advance. Machine guns are hot item./I don't like that./I don't give a good damn what you like.
11. Look, I got two problems selling machine guns to people like you. The first is selling machine guns. That's life [life sentence without possibility of parole] in this state. The second is selling to people like you. You're not honest. You know where I'm gonna be and what time, I'm liable to lose my machine guns./Give him a thousand dollars, Pete.
12. You show up with no money, no guns. And keep this in mind: I got more than five machine guns and the rest are gonna be pointed at you./Bastard. Fucking bastard./Life's hard, lover. Life's very hard.

Scene 14: The house of Eddie Coyle. Eddie Coyle and Sheila Coyle.
1.     Why the hell didn't you wake me up?/Yesterday, I got you up and you gave me hell for not letting you sleep. Today, I let you sleep and now you're giving me hell for not getting you up.
2.     Well, I gotta make some calls./I know. I know. "Go upstairs. I have to make some calls. " You know, sometimes I think I'm married to the president or something.
3.     It won't take long. I just gotta do this./Call the president. Call the pope.

Scene 15: A bowling place. Jackie Brown and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Barry, check aisle seven.
2.     Hey. You owe me ten more guns. I need 'em fast. When do I get 'em?/I don't know. Look. I got you the first batch when I said and I was ahead on the dozen. You know, these things take time.
3.     Time is what I haven't got. I'm getting pressure. I gotta see The Man tomorrow night. I need those guns./I can't get 'em for you by tomorrow night.
4.     Son of a bitch, I gotta have that stuff fast. I got a long ride to make tomorrow night. Maybe you can stop with me when I make it./No way. No way, no day, no can do. Look. I told you. I get quality. These things take time.
5.     Tomorrow night./You aren't buying a loaf of bread, you know. I got a thing set up that works pretty good. Dependable stuff that's not gonna get anybody in trouble. I'm not gonna screw it up just because your people got hot drawers. You'll have to tell 'em that./You tell 'em.
6.     Look. The stuff'll come. What's the big emergency?/Look. One of the first things I learned is never to ask a man why he's in a hurry. All you got to know is I told a man that he could depend on me because you told me I could depend on you. Now, one of us is gonna have a big, fat problem. Another thing I learned. If anybody's gonna have a problem, you're gonna be the one./You finished?/No, I'm not finished.
7.     Look, I'm getting old. You hear? I spent most of my life hanging around crummy joints with a bunch of punks, drinking their beer, eating the hash and the hot dogs and watching the other people go off to Florida while I'm sweating out how I'm gonna pay the plumber. I done time when I stood up but I can't take no more chances.
8.     Next time, it's gonna be me going to Florida. Now you listen. You're still a kid. Then you come out and you go around and say, "Look, I'm a man. You can take what I say and it happens. I go through." Well, you're learning something, too, my friend and I advise you to learn it right now. When you say that, when you get me out there all by myself on what you say, you better be right there in back of me because when you say it happens, it's gonna fucking happen. If it don't, you got your thing caught in the zipper.
9.     Now, just,/Now, I don't want any talk from you and any shit from you. I want ten guns. I want 'em tomorrow night. I'll be right there with the money. Same place where we were before. I'll be there with the money, you be there with those goddamn guns because if you ain't, I'll be looking for ya and I'll find ya too. Because I aingt the only one that's gonna be looking for ya and we know how to find people.
10. All right. Uh, look. I have to go to Rhode Island tonight, and I'm gonna be back late. Then I gotta see some people late tomorrow afternoon. C, Can I meet you someplace early where I can get free by, let's say, uh, three o'clock? 'Cause listen, man. You're coming up faster than we said, you know, and, and I got other people to see too. Tomorrow afternoon's okay?
11. Yeah. Look. Have the money, huh? Uh... if I work this fast, I'm gonna need the money fast./ No sweat. I'll have the money. No sweat.


Scene 16: Inside of the (vehicle of Jackie Brown). Jackie Brown and Man #1.
1.     You better kick it along, huh?/Listen. I've been on the road all fucking day, one thing or another and, by the time I get home tonight, it's gonna be morning. So just stay off of my ass, huh?
2.     I always wanted to see how much[combien] one of these things could do. You get the Magnum mill?/No, I got the Hemi. Three eighty three Hemi. You can have one too, you know. Just get me, say, another, uh, twenty five, thirty of those M sixteens.

Scene 17: Near wood. Jackie Brown and Man #1.
1.     Where the fuck you taking me?/Take a left. You go a hundred yards or so, there's a clearing. They're all there. You gotta go up the hill.
2.     Get out./Go up the hill.
3.     I said get out. Now you go up there and you get your friends and the rifles and you come back down here and we'll do business. Here. Not there./Why?/Because I think you need the exercise. 'Cause I like the moonlight. And 'cause I'm not so fucking stupid as to drive this car into the woods to find two other guys with machine guns who know I got money. This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid.
4.     Now go up there, and I'll stay down here and I'm gonna be watching. When you get down here, I'll tell you what to do next. Now move.
5.     I don't know. I can't see./Hmm./Plenty cold out here. Been waiting a long time./Shh.
6.     That's it! Far enough! You two there hand the rifles to the kid that was with me. Then stand still. Now get your ass down here. Put the rifles in the trunk and shut it. Shut the goddamn trunk. Hold it! I got a forty five on ya.
7.     Now, where's the ammo?/Uh, yeah, we couldn't get no ammo.
8.     You can steal the goddamn guns out of the stores but you can't get any bullets?/Look, we'll get it for you. Honest. The kid who was supposed to get it got sick. He wasn't on duty when it came up. We're not gonna trust just anybody, you know?
9.     All right. I'm gonna be nice to ya. I really oughta keep some of this back for you putting me in the ditch with the ammo, but, fuck it, my problem is, I'm a nice guy. When you get that stuff, you call me. You hear?
10. Yeah, okay, thanks, huh? Thanks a lot. Come on. Let's go.

Scene 18: Second Bank. A robber, the manager, Nancy, Vern.
1.     Come in, Nancy./Vern./Stay cool. We're being robbed./You're kidding me./No./They're really here? Oh, my God. Oh, my God.
2.     Get to work, sweetie. You too, lover. Nice piece of ass. You ripping off some of that? Oh, just get the hell over there. I don't care what the hell you're doing.
3.     May I have your attention? I want to remind you not to attempt anything courageous or foolish. It would come to the same thing. I want you to remember that these men have someone at my house and they say he'll kill my wife if anything goes wrong. I believe them. It's not at all unusual. I've been held up four times in thirty six years and I can tell you the important thing is not to panic and not to try to resist./That's right. No one will get hurt.
4.     Keep the shades drawn until nine fifteen. Then let the people in./Tell 'em the rest, quick.
5.     If anyone wants a large amount of currency, tell them the time lock is stuck and I've gone to get assistance. Is that clear?/Okay, let's go.
6.     What did you do? I said, what did you do?/Nothing. Honest, I -/You hit the alarm! I told you not to do it and you did it!
7.     The rest of you, get in the vault! Get in the goddamn vault! Get in the fucking vault!/Jesus! For Christ's sake, bingo!

Scene 19: Inside of (the vehicle of Artie Van), which is at parking lot. Eddie Coyle and Artie Van.
1.     Christ, Artie, what happened?/Ah, somebody got stupid, somebody got nervous and shot him./Jesus./Ah, that's the way it goes.
2.     They'll have everybody there, the FBI, everybody./Not that bank. No federal insurance. SP only. We're okay.
3.     I don't know. [not know] Geez, I don't know./When do you have to see The Man?/In a while.
4.     Okay./Make sure it's right./You guys gonna go again?
5.     Well, we talked about it. We can make one more move./Oh, geez, I don't know about that.
6.     You just get the guns. Next week, I'm going south. Get some caramel candy./Fuck you. You know where I'm going.
7.     Hey, I tried to tell you but you didn't listen.[not listen]/Looked like a pipe, Artie./You didn't listen. You wanna set up a hit then Dillon's your man. But he was eight minutes behind in that truck. Ah, it's too late now.
8.     Yeah, it looks like it./Hey, you just get the guns to Scal./Yeah.

Scene 20: A public park, weekday, afternoon. Dillon and Dave Foley.
1.     There's this truck. It bothers me. I know it sounds funny because I suppose you would think that what would be worrying me would be the guys in the truck or maybe some guy I don't even know watching me pretty close in the bar or something. But I have seen the truck. Put two guys in that truck, they could get the pope. The only time I see an engine like that, a Cadillac. So you know you aren't gonna run away 'cause that thing's gonna run right away with ya.
2.     In the windshield, they got a crack on the passenger side. You open it right up, you stick a deer rifle out there. Now, you're on the Mystic Bridge, that thing wheels up behind ya, the windshield's opening up and I ask you, what are you gonna do now?
3.     You're gonna make a good Act of Contrition is what you're gonna do. I mean, sure, I don't drive. The only time I'm on that bridge is coming home from the track on the bus. Do you see what I'm getting at?
4.     I know these guys. They're serious. I know them very well. They got a truck for guys that drive cars and they got something else for guys that walk, like me./Okay, okay. Did I ever tell you we could keep this neat and clean? I ever give you that line of horseshit?
5.     Nah, nah, nah, nah. You been on the level, I give you that./Uncle will appreciate what you've given me./Okay. You see what I mean? You see the position I'm in?/Have a nice day.

Scene 21: Shopping Mall. Jackie Brown and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Where are they?/In the trunk./Put the guns in the bag. Put the bags in the cart./Where's the money?
2.     Right here. You wanna count it?/No time. I gotta be at the Sharon railroad station at three thirty. Let's get going./Fine with me.
3.     What's in the bags?/Three of them are filled with bread. The others have got, uh, meat, potatoes, beer, vegetables, shit like that.
4.     What are you giving me?/The bread. A man can always use a little bread to feed the goddamn pigeons. Go find yourself some squirrels. Squirrels love the bread.
5.     Your wife make you do the shopping too?/You haven't got too much time and I'm in kind of a hurry myself. I don't have the time to explain married life to you and besides, if I did, you wouldn't believe me anyway. So let's just get down to business, huh?
6.     Jesus Christ!/Don't get your bowels in an uproar. They're for somebody else.
7.     Hurry up. Those look like fucking army guns to me./You wanna see one?
8.     Huh? No way. Just fill up the bags and put a couple of loaves on top./Okay, you got nine(separated)thirty eights here and one(separated)three fifty seven. Good stuff. Hope you appreciate what I did for ya.
9.     My friend, your name is in that great golden book in the sky. I'll be in touch.
10. Hello. Foley there? Dave Foley. No, I don't care to give my name. Stop farting around and get me Foley.

Scene 22: Sharon Railroad Station. Dave Foley and his "team", Jackie Brown, Andrea, and her boyfriend.
1.     We could take him now./We could. We could also do what we're supposed to do, which is wait and see who comes to pick up the stuff.
2.     Let's go./Give me that paper./This is Sauter[Fr., infinitive, to jump]. I'm in position./I can't see Foley from here./I can.
3.     Recognize 'em?/Nah, they look harmless to me./They're after machine guns, remember?
4.     Yeah?/I hate to bother you, man, but don't we have some kind of an agreement and all?/Yeah./Well?/Well what?
5.     Well, Christ, are we gonna do something?/Sure./Quit playing games. What the hell's going on here? This some kind of joke?/No, ma'am.
6.     I plan on sitting here for about two hours and, in the meantime, if every car that I saw when I came in here doesn't leave, then I'll know it.
7.     Around five thirty, I'll know if you're trying to tip me in./Oh, look, man!
8.     Hey, if you're all right, we'll go where I tell ya, I'll give you some machine guns, you give me some money, and that'll be that.
9.     This is a trick./You think so?/The money, man. Give us back the money.
10. Fuck you. Hey, you made a deal, man. You wanna back out, back out. But, uh, no refunds./Leave it, Pete. Let's get something to eat.
11. Damn. Maybe they'll come down back of his car.
12. Think quick. Is there anything we can bust 'em under?/No, not a goddamn thing./So we got two possibilities. He's still here. We can wait and bust him if he tries to leave or we can wait and maybe bust 'em all if they come back.
13. Or they come back and go someplace else and we lose 'em in the traffic.
14. What do we do?/Let me think./It's your party./We take him.
15. United States Treasury. Move and you're a fucking dead man. Get out of the car and keep your hands in plain sight. Get out!
16. Put your hands on top of the car./You're under arrest for violation of federal law./Tell him we got the man where he was supposed to be and we need a warrant to search the car.
17. You don't have to answer any questions. If you answer any questions, your answers may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand what I have read to you?
18. You knew it. You knew it./Sure./Oh, that fucking bastard. That fucking bastard!/What fucking bastard? Huh?/Oh, no. I'll take care of that myself.


Scene 23: Diner, night. Dave Foley and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Well? How'd it come out?/It went fine. Just fine. He had five(separated)M sixteens, just like you said.
2.     Now, that does it, huh?/Does what?/You know. You said you wanted a reason. That thing we talked about. That thing up in New Hampshire there. You said you needed a reason./Oh, that.
3.     Well, you gonna go up there with me and tell 'em what a nice guy I am?/That truck thing. The booze.
4.     Hey, Dave, come on. Don't jerk my chain, okay?/Here, sir./You know what I'm talking about. How far you gonna go for me?/I already made the call. I called the US Attorney up there and told him you were instrumental in bringing about a major arrest.
5.     That's right. That's it./And he said. He's pretty mean, that guy up there. He said, "Well, that's a start anyway. "
6.     What does that mean?/Well, he asked, "Is he working on anything else for you? I'd like it better", he said,"if he was working on something else for you. "
7.     Something else?/You know how it is, Eddie. I mean, it's one thing to just go and trade one guy for another one, but when you got a guy that's joined up that's gonna keep on sending you more stuff.
8.     That's shit./Look at it his way. The man's from a different district./Shit. Shit./His guys grabbed you fair and square, and you wouldn't plead out on 'em. You made 'em go through a trial. You wouldn't play ball.
9.     He wanted me to cop out on the guys that stole the stuff./Well, you can't blame him for that, now, can you? And you wouldn't tell him. So he convicted you and now he's got you in the box. And somebody from a different district calls up and says, "Hey, Coyle did me a favor. Leave him go." It's only natural a man's gonna ask, "Well, what'd he do for me?"
10. Look, I can't give him that man he wants up in New Hampshire. If I did, I'm dead. That's all there is to it. He can't ask me to walk out and commit suicide for him./He's not asking you for anything.
11. I gave you the guns./It was your idea./Oh, no. You said it first. You said you wanted a reason. I gave you a reason./And I went through, I made the call. You just don't like what the call got you. I can't help that, Eddie.
12. So, what do you want, goddamn it?/The man up there, he said he'd like it better if he could go in to the judge and tell him that you'd made one good case for uncle and you were working on some others. It'd show you'd rehabilitated yourself.
13. You're telling me to turn permanent fink. Permanent goddamn fink./You don't have to do anything you don't want to except be in federal district court in New Hampshire for disposition on a charge of stolen goods. Whatever else you do is because you want to.
14. That ain't right[not right], Dave. That ain't right. You set me up./Look, Eddie. Go someplace and have yourself a glass of beer and have a long talk with yourself. The only one fucking Eddie Coyle is Eddie Coyle. You wanted a call. I made the call. You gave me a grab to make the call. You want something else, you gotta start thinking about how to get that.
15. I can certainly understand a man that don't wanna rat on his friends but you gotta understand the position I'm in. All I can give ya is what I tell ya I can give ya and I gave you that. What you do next is entirely up to you.
16. I should have known better than to trust a cop. My own goddamn mother could have told me that./Everybody ought to listen to his mother.

Scene 24: Caravan, night. Eddie Coyle, Jimmy Scalise, and Wanda.
1.     Yes?/I, uh, brought some groceries for Scalise./Is he expecting you?/Well, he asked me to come up here and all. I just drove about two hours. I hope so.
2.     Just a minute./Who is it?/It's me, Coyle. I brought the groceries.
3.     Hey, Eddie. Okay, bring it in. I'd help you but I'd freeze my ass off./That's okay.
4.     Come on in, Eddie. This is Wanda. Wanda, meet Eddie./Hi, Eddie./Hi./Tell him what you do, honey./You tell him./She's a stewardess./No kidding./Get the man a beer. Come on.
5.     They look pretty good./Ought to./Had to go eighty apiece for 'em.
6.     I got five Smiths, two Lugers, a three(separated)fifty seven Mag. You can hold up a bank with that thing all by yourself.
7.     Hey, this is okay. I been on ice a couple of times myself, you know, but, uh, never this nice./I'm not on ice. I rent this place from a bulldozer driver. You know, seasonal work. The owner understands. Thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread.
8.     Hey, uh, that's pretty nice in there too./Oh, her?/Yeah./It's very warm down here. She don't wear no pants. Every now and then I just reach down here, she comes off like she's on electricity.
9.     Oh, Jesus./It's a great life if you don't weaken. A great life. Come on in./That's pretty nice meat you brought.
10. Hey, thanks. What do I owe ya?/All told it comes to, uh, forty five hundred./Sit down./My God. That's a lot of money for some meat./The money, what'd you say it was?/Forty five hundred.
11. Hey, uh, Jimmy, you gonna need any more guns?/I could use anything you can get. We're gonna need at least five Monday maybe more to do the job right. I like to have a couple extras in the car so if I gotta use one on the job I can wipe it off and heave it down the river. Everything goes right, we'll probably be dumping the whole eight Monday night.
12. You know when you're gonna need 'em?/I'll give you a call. You can come and meet me. When I call you, I'll tell you where I'm gonna be. You gonna be around?
13. I got that thing coming up in New Hampshire, you know./I hope you're all right./Me, too, Scal. Me, too.

Scene 25: Inside a vehicle. Jimmy Scalise, Artie Van, Phil Kenny.
1.     Okay?/No tails or anything?
2.     We were alone all the way from Fall River. If they're watching us, they're doing it from an airplane.
3.     What was it with Dillon?/He's worried about Coyle. He thinks maybe Coyle is swapping us for that thing he's got going in New Hampshire.
4.     You think so?/No way. All he knew was we wanted guns. What could he tell 'em? He don't know where we've been till we've been there. There's no way Coyle could set us up./From what I know, Coyle's a stand-up guy.
5.     You're sure no one tailed you?/No one.
6.     This Waylon got any kids?/Grown up and moved away. Just him and his wife. Nice lady. She'll probably fix you breakfast while you're waiting for us.

Scene 26: The house of a bank manager.
1.     Martha, are you coming?/I'm coming, I'm coming./Hurry, because I'll be late.
2.     Two of 'em./Big meeting today./Beautiful. Mom and Dad coming down together./April fool, motherfuckers. Drop it.

Scene 27: Diner. Dave Foley and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Let me have another beer./Uh, straight bourbon.
2.     I, uh, I thought about it, what we were saying and, uh, I'm ready to deal with ya./It's your decision, Eddie.
3.     It's my decision but I don't want no surprises. I gotta know just how far you'll go for me./That depends on how far you go for me. You know that.
4.     Okay. Well, if I give you this, I can't do no time [sentence by a judge in criminal court]. These guys have got friends, you know, and I wouldn't live to get out./Well, we can take care of you.
5.     Okay. Now, uh, suppose I was to go out west, Arizona, for instance. You'd have to fix me up with a new identity and all that. You know what I mean. You do it all the time./It's been done but I can't guarantee it. All I can promise, in all honesty, is to carry the ball for you as best I can but you've gotta make it good.
6.     You don't make it much of a proposition./It's your proposition, Eddie. I'm just here to listen. And, so far, you haven't told me anything.
7.     Suppose I was to give you those guys been knocking off the banks./Eddie./How far would you go for that?/Last night I would've gone the distance, Eddie, but that was last night. I guess you haven't seen the paper. You're too late, Eddie. It all happened without you.


Scene 28: Parking lot at a train station. Dillon and the messenger.
1.     I was wondering if you could handle something for us./More than likely. Depends, I suppose, but more than likely.
2.     This is pretty important. That's why we got in touch with you./Somebody have a problem?
3.     Jimmy Scal, Artie Valen-tropo, Fritzie Webber, and Phil Kenney. They got bagged in a house up in Milton there. Murder one. Hearing this afternoon./I warned 'em.
4.     Who? Warned who?/Jimmy Scal. Picked up on something the other day. This guy, uh, guy we know, me and Scal. He's up for sentencing. It's almost mandatory, you know.
5.     Name of Coyle, isn't it?/I had him driving a truck for me and a fellow up there in New Hampshire and he got hooked, which is why he's coming up. I was figuring he was thinking about dumping me. He wouldn't do that unless he took out a will. So he dumped on Jimmy and Artie, the bastard.
6.     Scal gave his lawyer that name Coyle to give to The Man. Coyle. Eddie Fingers, right?/Do you want him hit?/The Man wants him hit. Tonight./I, uh, I can't do it tonight. You see, for Christ's sake, this takes a little while, you know. I mean, I gotta line things up, a car and a place and a driver.
7.     The Man says tonight./When I hit somebody, I do it right, not like some goddamn kid found his girl fucking somebody else.
8.     He says tonight./He says, he says! Five grand in front.
9.     You'll get it when you do the job./Want me to make a hit on the cuff? Look, that's not the way it happens, The Man knows that and I'm beginning to wonder if he sent you.
10. Now, look./"Now, look", nothing. I treat a man with respect, I expect to be treated with a little respect. The Man knows how I work, what I do. That's why he wants me. I done the Polack and Jimmy the Whale. So he knows what I do. So he knows with me, it's strictly cash in advance. No money, no hit. No credit cards whatsoever.
11. The Man isn't gonna like that./Look, he came looking for me. Now, I had some hard things The Man asked me to do and I did them. Nobody got hurt but the guy that was supposed to get hurt and nobody on anything I ever did ended up on death row which is more than I can say for some I know.
12. He knows you're good./Okay. I'll be at my place. We do this thing, we do it the right way. All right?/I'll tell him how you feel.

Scene 29: Dillon's. Dillon and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Thanks, Dillon./See ya.
2.     You making any money?/Not exactly. You were to ask me, I'd have to tell you I'm not having a very good day.
3.     Why is that?/You heard about what happened over in Randolph there?
4.     Yeah, that was a rough thing./Yeah, but this is the end of Artie Van. And Jimmy, too, for that matter.
5.     I look at it philosophically. You win some, you lose some, right? They made, what, a quarter of a mil [250 000 USD] in a month? You're gonna get the fuzz mad. And they killed those two guys, right?
6.     Somebody set them up. The cops were waiting for 'em right there in the house. Somebody set them up. I'd like to know who that was./Yeah, I imagine they would too.
7.     I know Jimmy Scal good. Oh, hell, you know that. Hate to see Jimmy take this one. He's in forever.
8.     Look, I still say they knew what they were getting into. Did anybody feel sorry for you?/No. You got a lot of fucking nerve asking me that.
9.     You went through, didn't ya? You didn't throw somebody else in. You were a big boy. You gotta have respect for them. They're big boys too.
10. Yeah. Well, I'm all wrapped up now./Well, you get probably two years and you do eight months. That's a third. That's no sweat.
11. It's for you, Dillon./Don't take it so goddamn serious.
12. Yeah? Yeah, I know who this is. It's a funny thing. He's in here right now. Put on a big performance how sorry he is, how pissed off he is they got set up. It's almost enough to make me mad. Enough of that. You get somebody up here this afternoon with an envelope. Or maybe tonight. You get the envelope here, I'll see what I can do.
13. That was a friend of mine. Calls to tell me he can't go to the Bruins tonight. So, uh, why don't you forget your troubles and come to the game with me, huh?
14. We'll have a little dinner. I'll take the night off, we'll see a good game. Blackhawks. What do you say?/Sounds good./
15. So, uh, come back around six or so. I'd say stay, but, uh, the way you're going, you might not be able to see the game or anything, you stay. We'll have a little wine, good steak. Then we go to the game.
16. Right. You're right. Look, I got a few things to do. I'll catch you back here about six. Okay?/Okay.

Scene 30: Hockey stadium. Dillon, his cousin, and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Get that son of a bitch!/Hey!/Can't understand where that kid is. That friend I was telling you about, he gave me both his tickets.
2.     So I invited my wife's nephew. I can't understand where he is. He loves hockey, that kid.
3.     Great game./Great game./You want some more?/I'll get it.
4.     Where is he?/He's gone for beers./Jesus Christ, man, what'd you bring him here for?
5.     Because he's too smart to come out for any other kind of party. Because there's fiften thousand people here looking at the Bruins and they don't give a fuck about us. Now get the fuck out of his seat.
6.     When you piss, you piss./That's beer, goddamn it. It's hard to carry beer in a crowd like this. You ever try it?
7.     Imagine being a kid like that. What is he, twenty four or something? Greatest hockey player in the world./Number four! Bobby Orr!/Jesus, what a future he's got, huh?
8.     Penalty for high sticking./Number eleven, two minutes for high sticking.


Scene 31: Exiting hocky stadium. Dillon, his cousin, and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Hey, I forgot to tell you, I got some girls./Oh, I don't know, man. It's pretty late.
2.     Come on! Let's make a night of it./Hey, I can't, man. I gotta go home. I gotta get the car back.
3.     Well, where's your car?/South, South End. I, uh, I was there, and I took a trolley over to your place. I ne, Just never got back for it.
4.     Shit. And, you know, there's, uh, these girls. They're absolutely all right./But there's no way. I mean, they're in Brookline.
5.     Hey, look, I could drive you there in the car and then go home. But I can't hang around much, 'cause I got a test tomorrow. Whatever's fair, you know.


Scene 32: Inside a vehicle. Dillon, his cousin, and Eddie Coyle.
1.     Hey, Eddie./Hmm?/Eddie./Yeah?/You all right?/Beautiful. Beautiful.
2.     You gonna be able to drive?/Oh, yeah./No sweat./Hey, great game, huh?
3.     Where do you want me to go?/Hey, Eddie, you tell him. Where's your car?/He's out./Go around the Garden.
4.     Head for the expressway going south in case he wakes up./I know what's going on.
5.     Good. I'm glad to hear that. You just drive. If I was you, I'd drive to Quincy, pick roads where I could go pretty fast without making anyone look suspicious and come out on Morrissey Boulevard.
6.     I'd look for a blue Galaxy in the parking lot of the Chalet Swiss bowling alleys./Somebody said something about some money./If I was you, I'd look hard for that Galaxy. Drive that Galaxy back to Boston, you let me off.
7.     If I was you, I'd look in the glove compartment of that car before dropping it off in the nigger district.
8.     Jesus!/Jesus Christ. Hey, slow down, you stupid shit. You wanna get arrested or something?/I got nervous. Jesus Christ, that was loud.
9.     That's why I used a twenty two./ Yeah? That was loud enough./I ever let off a thirty eight(separated)two-incher in here, you'd go right off the road.
10. Is he dead?/If he's not now, he's never gonna be. Now slow down and get off this road.
11. This car looks a lot like the other one in this light./That's the idea. Now you're learning. The cops have been looking at that car all night. Now they see one looks just like it. Help me stuff him down.
12. Yeah, they won't search that for a couple hours. Hey, lock it. Keeps the volunteers out./Not a bad car./Take the Memorial Drive to the Mass. Avenue Bridge. I gotta get rid of this gun.

Scene 33: A square. Dillon and Dave Foley.
1.     I heard a guy on television the other night, he was talking about pigeons. He called them flying rats. I thought that was pretty good. What he had in mind, he was gonna give 'em the flu or something to make them extinct. Now, uh, there was a guy that got shit on, probably got shit on again. Then he got mad. They ruined his suit or something.
2.     So he's gonna spend the rest of his life getting even with pigeons 'cause they ruined a four hundred dollars suit. Now, there's no percentage in that because there are probably ten million pigeons in Boston alone, all of them laying eggs every day, which generally produce more pigeons. All, uh, dropping tons and tons of shit every day, rain or shine.
3.     And this guy in New York, he's gonna, well, there just aren't gonna be any more of them in this world. Yeah, a man gets desperate. He does a few things, he knows it won't work. Pretty soon he quits, packs it all in, goes away someplace. It's the only way there is.
4.     Okay, you gave us Scalise and we're grateful. You can't talk about Coyle, you can't talk about Coyle. It's all right./Thanks.
5.     Screw [screw driver]. We've been friends a long time now. I never asked a friend yet to do something he really couldn't do, I knew he couldn't do it. Have a nice day.


Keine Kommentare: