27 Dezember 2012

Excerpt. Transcript. Sideways2004.


1.     Just write another one. You have lots of ideas, right?
2.     No, I'm finished. I'm not a writer. I'm a middle-school English teacher. I'm going to spend the rest of my life grading essays and reading the works of others. It's okay. I like books. The world doesn't give a shit what I have to say. I'm unnecessary. I'm so insignificant, I can't even kill myself.
3.     What's that supposed to mean?
4.     You know, Hemingway, Sexton, Woolf, Plath, Delmore Schwartz. You can't kill yourself before you've even been published.
5.     What about that guy who wrote Confederacy of Dunces? He committed suicide before he got published, and look how famous he is.
6.     Thanks.
7.     Don't give up. You're going to make it.
8.     Half my life is over, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm a thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper. I'm a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage.
9.     See? Right there. Just what you just said. That's beautiful. A thumbprint on a skyscraper. I couldn't write that.
10. Neither could I. I think it's Bukowski.

Keine Kommentare: